In the case of Facebook, it's not this easy.
Let me clarify: I wanted to text a friend of mine and didn't have her number stored in my phone so I went to my Facebook address book to get it.
Search for her first name. "You have no friends named 'xxxx'".
Search for last name. "You have no friends named 'xxxx'"
What the hell? I know I'm not spelling her name wrong. Then it hits me. SHE UNFRIENDED ME! Just to be sure I do a search for new friends and there she is.
Now, I don't know how to feel. SHE UNFRIENDED *ME*! It's at this point that I begin the 5 stages of grief.
1. Denial: No way. Facebook is down. There's a problem with search.
2. Anger: Bitch. What did I do to her!?
3. Bargaining: I could just add her as a friend again and assume it was an accident. I know, maybe she unfriended me for a whopper?
4. Depression: It's me. I posted too many videos and pictures and she was tired of seeing my updates in her feed.
5. Acceptance: Well, it's ok. I still have, like 100 other friends - who needs her as a friend anyway?
Here's the real question: Why does this matter? Why is it upsetting to me? I have no idea. Here's one thing I do know for sure. Facebook friends and real life friends (with whom you really care about and do *real* things together) are definately not the same thing.
The lesson to be learned here? I'll let you decide, becuase Joy is actually still friends with me and search really doesn't work for her name.